Sunday, March 12, 2017

PURE JOY

 

                I AM ON CLOUD NINE. Words can’t express how pumped up I am to start taking pictures and getting this show on the road. I finally came up with exactly what I want my front cover to look like after much debate and many sketches.


I wanted the name of this issue to be noticed as soon as someone looked at the magazine, therefore I put it in the top center of the front cover. I want it to be in bold black font for a few reasons:
  •  keep it simple (black)
  • keep it fun and upbeat to go with the general theme of "on the go" ( bubble letters )
  • create a little contrast between playful and simplicity
     Moreover, the title of my magazine needs to stand out above all. The masthead advertises the brand and the font has to specifically compliment my branding purposes. I learned that from the power point slide Mrs.Marchetti showed to my class. As mentioned in my first blog post, I am learning that the more simple something is the better. So, I want my masthead to be in large and easy to read font. Also, working moms like to keep things quick and easy, so I didn't want to make my masthead too fancy because the foods I am featuring are simple and cater to the working mother. I want  my masthead to be in red because it is a color that really stands out to me and I think it can work well as a pretty accent color throughout my magazine. Design elements such as colors and font can make a magazine go from drab to FAB.
     Of course, I had to include my slogan under the masthead because that is what all my issues are going to revolve around, " Enjoying the Morsels of Life". Quick and yummy on the go goodies. I want this to be in bold black font so it works coherently with the name of the issue as stated on the top of the cover.
     My main image is still TBD, but I know the placement of it. I want it to be in the center of my cover and bigger than anything else on the page. The main image should draw the eye of the consumer. I have some ideas about what I want it to be of, such as

  • Donut holes that form the letters "B B" which stands for blissful bites
  • Breakfast ingredients
  • A mom with her kids in the kitchen eating one of the recipes featured in the magazine
My cover lines will all  be centered around my main image. I picked cover lines that will appeal to my target audience. In my cover lines, I chose to bold specific words that will appeal to the working mom for example, ON THE GO, 5 MINUTES , BEST, SIMPLE AND SAVORY. Followed by the bolded words is a short description of what it is describing:

  • ON THE GO quiche in just 5 MINUTES
  • THE BEST lemon mini muffins
  • SIMPLE AND SAVORY tater tots wrapped in maple glazed bacon
     Under all my cover lines, I want to include the page number in simple red font so the reader can easily flip to the page without having to search for the table on contents. I chose red font to work well with the color of my masthead.
     I also found something very common in food magazines, and that is large numbers followed by a description. For example, 120 tips to making the perfect pasta. I loved that idea and common element and felt I needed  to include something similar on my magazine. I put "156 ways for on the go breakfast success."
     Yes, I know that was quite the mouthful... trust me my fingers are about to fall off from typing. I am so exited about my front cover! I cant wait to take pictures and put all the pieces together. The next step for me will be designing my two-page spread and table on contents. I found this website that shows a ton of different layouts for a two page spread. I was browsing through them for about 20 minutes and stumbled upon one that I think will work great with a recipe




I love this because it is a fun balance between graphics and text. That's the idea I have for now, but stay tuned in my upcoming blog posts to see what I pick WOOHOO :) 

Sources cited:
100003985223161. "10 Basic Elements of Design." Creative Market. N.p., 27 May 2016. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.

"36 Stunning Magazine and Publication Layouts for Your Inspiration." Inspiration Hut. N.p., 08 July 2016. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.



No comments:

Post a Comment