Thursday, March 16, 2017

Two Page Layout Inspiration + Story Idea+ Sketch

According to my schedule, today is the day that I will sketch my two page layout and tell you guys about my story idea. I want to give you guys a look into my whole creation process and certain layouts that inspired me. PLOT TWIST: I didn't use Pinterest for inspiration this time, I used a website that Mrs.Marchetti put on her website a while ago.
I LOVE THIS LAYOUT so much it is so cute. It is perfect for displaying a recipe, along with images of the ingredients that the recipe will consist of, and an image of the final product. I also admire that this two page spread is consistent. To elaborate, the colors of the images on both pages are mostly brown or in that family. It makes the pages come together to create a visually pleasing work of art. This helped make me aware of how big a roll colors play in design in order for a page to make sense. 

This layout also caught my eye for similar reasons to the previous one. This one was also consistent with the color scheme. The images all had an orange tone to them, so it made the spread really come full circle. I love how the background was dark, but then the background for the parts that have text are white. It was a smart way to put emphasis on things that were essential to the story. 


I went back and forth in my head debating whether or not I liked the photo above. In my opinion the spread did not work together to create a coherent piece. I think it is because the backgrounds are different on both pages. I liked how the recipe was on one page and an image was on the other. But, overall this is not something I am going to create. 

Story Idea

For my two page layout I immediately knew that I wanted to use a recipe, so I chose French toast muffins. I found the recipe on Pinterest and it was very simple and only takes 10 minutes to make. French toast is breakfast favorite, but typically requires the person eating it to be sitting down at a table using a fork and knife. So, the idea of it being in the form of a muffin was perfect for my target audience, the working mother, because she can easily eat this while on the go. Say goodbye to utensils, and say hello to finger foods.

Sketch 


The background of my two page spread will be a silver/grey color, similar to the background color used in the spreads that I talked about earlier in this post. I like this color because it resembles a muffin tin, which is a necessary for this recipe. 

Moreover, the title of the recipe will be in black bubble letters to compliment the title on the front cover and on table of contents (which is in the same font and font color ). The little slogan that goes with the recipe will be in black bold font to compliment the selling line on my front cover ( which is in the same font and font color).  

The ingredients, tips, and step-by-step recipe will all be on what appears to be notebook paper. I thought the notebook paper was a cute idea because it makes the page a bit more authentic because typically recipes are on notebook paper ( at least in my household they are ). The color of the notebook paper (white) will stand out against the dark background of the page). The words on the notebook paper will be in red because as I stated in an earlier post, I want that to be an accent color throughout the magazine. 

Similar to one of the spreads that inspired me, I will strategically palace images of ingredients that are essential to the recipe around the perimeter of the pages. I chose to place the final product on the bottom right of the second page because as readers we read from left to right, so the last thing the reader will see is the final product as it in the final thing on the page.  

P.S. the dotted line going down the middle of my sketch is just to show what will be included on either page since it is a two page spread. 

Sources cited: 
-"Cinnamon French Toast Muffins." Pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2017.
-"Fresh Ideas for Improving Your Magazine Layouts." InDesign Skills. N.p., 24 May 2016. Web. 16 Mar. 2017.
-Wiki Images. N.p., n.d. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment