Friday, March 10, 2017

Research Time. Getting a clear vision + target audience

  Recently had an epiphany about my magazine. I always wanted to do a food magazine and was able to narrow it down to exactly what I want it to be. I am going to make a magazine named Blissful Bites. My slogan is going to be "enjoying the morsels of life." I'm going to do breakfast edition because it really gives me a clear idea about what foods to feature and what recipes I can include on my two page spread. To elaborate, my magazine is going to include all foods that you can eat in one bite. Things that will accommodate the working mom who is on the go. Something quick and easy to eat in order to get her system working. Also, food magazines that I have read about mostly focused  on full meals or dishes, for example, pasta dishes you can make for you and your family or even a nice healthy salad that your would need to be sitting at a table for. The thing making my magazine unique ,is the diverse style of food that I will be featuring. Yes, the foods may be common but it will be in bite-size form.

Knowing from my own experiences my mom is super busy and barely has time to eat breakfast in the morning, so this is what inspired me to make this magazine. I thought that this would be a perfect way to let working moms know that there's always time for breakfast, even if it’s  something quick and easy that you can eat in the car on your way to work.

Now that I have a clear direction about where I am heading on this project, the first thing I want to research was my target audience. I found that by looking at the magazines such as Bon Appetit magazine that most people featured in them where the age 30 and above. Also, something that was prominent  in this magazine were mature cocktails that target a bit of an older audience. But, I couldn't just look at one food magazine and base it of that, so I went even deeper. I went to the most popular food magazine in the country, Food Network Magazine. It was very similar to Bon Appetit as far as age of people featured and types of food and drink. I also found that the people leaving comment's on the website were generally women. Therefore, my target audience is going to be  females, ages 30 and up.

Yes, I know how crazy a morning routine can be for a working mom, from seeing my mom's chaotic morning, but I wanted to see if other mothers were also suffering in the midst of a busy household. So I googled “Do working moms have time for breakfast in the morning”, and I discovered that it is an extremely popular Google search. About 45 websites came up to assist them in the morning . It all involved waking up earlier than normal and eating pre made food. Which made me even more excited about my magazine. I want my audience to realize that there are quick and easy recipes that you can easily squeeze into your routine, that you can just pop In your mouth while driving the kids to school.

Sources cited:
Appetit", "Bon. "Bon Appétit Magazine: Recipes, Cooking, Entertaining." Bon Appetit. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2017.

"Food Network Magazine." Food Network. N.p., 03 Sept. 2015. Web. 9 Mar. 2017.


"Morning Tips For Working Moms." Alpha Mom. N.p., 06 Oct. 2010. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment