Monday, March 13, 2017

Table of Contents - layout/ design process

I am trying to figure out all the major design elements before I start photographing, which I plan on doing as soon as I have all my layout ideas. I am obsessed with Pinterest, they have so many cool ideas about any topic you can imagine. But in this case I searched  " table of contents layout designs" and here are few of my favorites and hate-its from what I found.
I found this one very simple yet visually intriguing. It was basic but not boring; I admire how this person tried not be too complex. As I said in my first blog post, MORE IS LESS. I hope to maintain this mindset throughout my journey for Blissful Bites.

My target audience is working women and knowing that they are always busy, I want to to make my magazine easy to read and quick to the point. I'm going to avoid adding unnecessary or over elaborate words, there is no need to add "fluff". Here is an example of a layout I am trying to stay away from: 
The graphic is so overbearing and makes the words hard to read. The purpose of the table of contents is to direct the reader to stories that they may be interested in reading. Yes the graphics and design elements are extremely important, but if the words aren't legible, it's useless. 

BACK TO MY GOAL - here are a few examples of layouts I love and reasons why: 

  • good graphic to text ratio
  • the graphics compliment the words which makes the page coherent 
  • SIMPLE,SLEEK, AND LEGIBLE 
  • the pictures embedded into the text which adds structure and flow to the page
  • vibrant pictures with black text (balance)
  • large page numbers make it easy to identify as a reader

Now that I have more than enough inspiration, stay tuned for my sketch in a few posts. I look forward to finally putting the pieces together.

Sources cited:
-Balentyne, Bailey. "OFFSPRiiNG Magazine." Pinterest. N.p., 22 Mar. 2015. Web. 18 Mar. 2017. 
-Friedman, Vitaly. "Table of Contents: Creative Examples – Smashing Magazine." Smashing Magazine. N.p., 15 Mar. 2017. Web. 18 Mar. 2017.
-Hongpan, Kanyanee. "A Fresh Look for Martha Stewart Living." Pinterest. N.p., 12 Jan. 2015. Web. 18 Mar. 2017.
-Kotting, Katja. "Browse Inside Love To Cook: 140 Simply Delicious Recipes To Share With Family And Friends by Valli Little." Pinterest. N.p., 20 Mar. 2015. Web. 18 Mar. 2017.
-Mushroom, Bushra. "TOC Research." Pinterest. N.p., 03 Feb. 2014. Web. 18 Mar. 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment